How to prepare Horchata – Traditional Honduran Drink
The Honduran Horchata is not only a refreshing drink but it is also quite nutritious and healthy due to the combination of seeds and ingredients it contains.
If you walk through the markets in Honduras or walk into any restaurant, order a horchata drink and enjoy this delicious drink.
The difference of the Honduran Horchata with recipes from other countries is that ours is made with a higher proportion of snout seeds, which gives it its characteristic light gray color.
Morro seeds are obtained from the jícaro or jícara tree – Crescentia cujete (whose fruit is known as guaje cirial), also known as the “Sacred Tree of the Mayas or Jícaras Tree”, a sacred tree for the Mayan Culture.
Morro seeds have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve respiratory conditions such as cough, asthma, tuberculosis, among others.
Honduran Horchata Recipe
Learn with this recipe how to prepare Horchata, a traditional Honduran drink, very refreshing and nutritious based on morro seeds.
- Course: Drinks
- Cuisine: Hondureña
- Keyword: horchata, morro
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours hrs 30 minutes
- Servings: 10 personas
- 1 Iron skillet or comal
- 1 Wooden ladle
- 1 Blender to liquefy the seeds
- 1 Cloth to sift
- 1 Measuring cup
- 1 Glass bowl to mix the seeds
- 2 cups seeds of morro main ingredient
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup peanut without salt
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 cups sugar cane or 2 cups sugar
- 2 bars cinnamon
- 1 piece of lemon
- 3 liters water
Toast the seeds
- We wash the seeds well separately, let them drain and dry a little.
- Place the comal or iron skillet over medium high heat and begin to toast the morro seeds. You will notice that it will begin to emanate its characteristic smell
- Note: Try to be patient and not toast over high heat because you will burn the seeds and ruin the final flavor of the horchata.
- We toast the squash seeds, you will be able to see how the seed takes on a golden color. When it is ready you can combine it with the morro seeds.
- Note: Remember to move the seeds regularly with the wooden spoon so that they do not burn.
- We toast the peanut seeds, when they are ready we let them cool so that we can remove the shell with our hands.
- To toast the sesame seeds, reduce the heat a little. You’ll know the seeds are ready when they turn from white to light brown.
- As you toast you can combine them in a large bowl.
- In a mortar or molcajete, grind the cinnamon a little
- Finally combine all the toasted seeds, add the rice and cinnamon.
Blend the seeds
- In the blender add 1 part of seeds and 2 parts of water.
- Tip: If you use sugar cane you can add it to the mix
- We blend well to obtain the greatest essence of the seeds that you can.
- You can filter the seeds with a cloth or sieve
- Add more water to extract everything.
- Add little by little and to your liking the sugar or sugar cane
- Add a piece or zest of lemon
- Add ice
- Adjust the flavor with sweet